Human Health Risk Assessment
We help advance the understanding of chemical effects on people and the environment.
About This Service
CSS helps our clients assess the effects of chemicals on human health and the environment. Our scientists research and analyze pesticides, herbicides, and other agricultural and industrial chemicals.
Examples of our work include:
- Examining the movement, metabolism, and degradation of chemicals
- Conducting and evaluating studies that measure or predict exposure limits
- Characterizing risks
- Risk assessment
- Weight of evidence analyses
- Regulatory compliance
- Environmental Justice
- Quality assurance
Our scientists are experts in evaluating data on:
- Pesticide residues in food, feed crops, and livestock
- Mammalian toxicity for agricultural and industrial chemicals
- Chemical toxicity to non-target species
We calculate exposure and other parameters:
- Critical endpoints
- PALs (Preliminary Action Levels)
- NOAELs and LOAELs (no- and lowest-observed adverse effect level
- RfDs and RfCs (acceptable reference doses and concentrations)
- Cancer values
- Human Health Reference Values (HHRVs)
We conduct research:
- Dose-response testing of herbicides in greenhouse and field studies
- Herbicide drift impacts on native plant communities
- Effects of nanoparticles on plant growth and reproduction
Evaluation of Pesticide Safety
CSS supports the EPA Office of Pesticide Programs in evaluating the safety and potential health and environmental risks resulting from the use of pesticides and ensures that the data utilized for EPA’s regulatory decisions are scientifically sound.
Expert Guidance to EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division
Technical Support for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division (CMAD) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support related to chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) decontamination.
Audit and Inspection Support for the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
For more than 35 years, CSS has provided quality control assessment support to the National Toxicology Program (NTP) on studies relating to the toxicological effects of chemicals in the environment.
Radiation Decontamination Application for EPA
CSS served as the bridge between computer developers and the scientific community during the creation of a Radiation Decontamination application.
Decontamination Field Tests for EPA
CSS staff helped design, plan for, and implement field tests of decontamination technologies and methods using MB for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division.
Get in Touch
Contact us to learn more about our Human Health Risk Assessment services area.