Training for First Responders and Field Staff
CSS technical experts prepare and deliver essential training and information addressing worker safety and environmental hazards.
Delivering Classroom and Hands-on Training to First Responders and Field Staff
Preparing and Communicating Technical Information that Combines Best Practices, Agency Guidance, and CSS’ Extensive Field Experience
Emergency response events and hazardous sites present specific health and safety and technical challenges. CSS technical experts prepare and deliver essential information addressing worker safety and environmental hazards.
- We provided hands-on training at the EPA On-Scene Coordinator (OSC)/Support Personnel Radiation/Nuclear Response course. For this event, we set up a field Personnel Decontamination processing line and assisted course participants as they dressed in self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBAs) and disposal personal protective clothing.
- We developed and facilitated a three-day Chemical Agent Workshop to expand response capabilities following a Chemical Agent incident. Staff coordinated with EPA to prepare all materials for the training, which covered the basic chemistry of chemical agents, laboratory capability and availability, equipment demonstration, availability of internal EPA resources, air monitoring, and more.
- We trained 119 emergency response personnel during the Border HAZMAT Technical Training and led exercises and field demonstrations. We also developed equipment Quick Start Guides for students.
- We coordinated translation services for 60 attendees, as well as associated presentation materials, during the multi-day US-Mexico BiNational Knowledge Exchange and Tabletop Exercise.
- We supported EPA training exercises for natural disasters by preparing handbooks, forms, and other materials used by participants during the exercises.
CSS also supports logistics for training events and meetings. Staff research appropriate facilities, produce training materials and agendas; support registration; organize equipment and presenters; provide meeting facilitators, note takers, and translators (if needed); prepare After-Action Reports; and issue certificates to attendees.
Expert Guidance to EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division
Technical Support for EPA’s Consequence Management Advisory Division (CMAD) – CSS provides expert technical guidance and field support related to chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) decontamination.
Cleaning Up the National Anthrax Attack
Challenge CSS working alongside of the U. S. Centers for Disease Control characterized the extent of building contamination and subsequently determined that the entire 100,000 foot building and contents would need to be decontaminated. A novel method needed to be developed and implemented for cleaning the massive number of mail pouches, packages and artifacts destined…
Analytical Laboratory Support for Mass Transit Decontamination Research
CSS helped advance EPA’s body of knowledge for restoring subway systems after a biological incident.
Environmental Resource Assessment & Management
We apply science to address challenges affecting the nation’s natural resources.
Satellite Data Applications
Helping create a more environmentally sustainable, weather-ready, and secure nation through application of earth observation data
Safety, Health, & Environmental
We provide our clients with tools to protect their workforce, the public, and the environment.
Emergency Preparedness & Response
We help our clients prepare for and protect the health and environment of communities after disasters and hazmat releases.
Earth & Space Science Support & Operations
We deliver scientific support to advance our clients’ research goals.
Human Health Risk Assessment
We help advance the understanding of chemical effects on people and the environment.
Our IT solutions meet clients’ evolving needs.
Get in touch
Contact us to learn more about our projects, capabilities, solutions, and service offerings.